About the Cemetery
Evanston was established 1869, a few months after the tracks of the
Union Pacific Railroad were laid through southwestern Wyoming. In 1870,
the railroad made Evanston a service point for its steam locomotives,
assuring the town’s future.
By the early 1870s, the town cemetery
was already established about 1 mile northeast of the town limits.
Within its bounds, separate cemeteries were created in the mid 1870s by
the Evanston Masonic Lodge and the Evanston Chapter of the International
Order of the Odd fellows (IOOF). A separate Catholic cemetery was
established sometime after the Catholic congregation was founded in
The largest expansion of the cemetery took place in the mid 1930s, when the new section was constructed as a WPA project.